Designed by Albert and his son John Goldwater, this structure is in the International Modernist style.
Dating from 1953 this Chapel and Mortuary replaces an earlier wooden building from the 19th century.
The new building commemorated the centennial of the first Jewish religious ceremony held in New Zealand, in 1853.
Previously, on the Symonds Street Cemetery Block there was a Jewish mortuary chapel, called Tahara House, on Karangahape Road.
This building was used after the official closure of this cemetery, for Jewish pre-funeral rituals before bodies were taken to other cemeteries for burials (see story on Jewish burial practices).