In the same way, this has always been a significant and strategic site.
Out on the edge of town
What is now known as Symonds Street Cemetery was established here in 1841, when Auckland was a town of around 2000 people. It was Auckland's first public cemetery.
At that time this was out beyond the town limits, and the area was considered appropriate for a cemetery because of the wide, sweeping views.
In the units of the time, the cemetery originally covered an area of 22 acres, 2 roods and 6.7 perches (approximately 9ha).