A distinctive Auckland landmark up on the windy ridge, until demolished in 1950.
Partington’s windmill, located up high on this ridge to get best advantage of the wind, ground corn and wheat for the Auckland market.
In 1847 the newly-arrived Charles Partington ventured into partnership with John Bycroft and together they took over the Epsom Mill that stood in St Andrews Road.
The partnership lasted until December 1849 and in May 1850, for £200, Partington purchased two sections on Symonds Street near the intersection with Karangahape Road, adding a third property three years later.
On this site he had the builder Henry White build a six-storey high windmill, made of bricks using clay dug from the site at a cost of £2000. The walls were 685mm thick, constructed using special wedge-shaped bricks.
In August 1851 the first flour was advertised for sale. The company advertised as the Victoria Flour Mills and Steam Biscuit Factory. Being able to produce large amounts of baked goods established Partington’s as a major firm.
During the Land Wars of the 1860s this technology enabled Partington to secure a very lucrative contract to supply government troops with biscuits.
The mill functioned as an early Skytower, with many professional photographers taking panoramic shots of Auckland from its upper levels.
Charles Partington died in 1877, possibly leaving his business affairs in disarray. He is buried in the Presbyterian section of the cemetery.
After a set of legal skirmishes his sons divided parts of the business empire between them; eventually the Symonds Street Windmill ended up being owned by Joseph Partington.
Henry White (who built the windmill) is buried in the Wesleyan section of the cemetery, just near the St Martin’s Lane entrance.