Anglican section: The establishment

The Anglican Church was given the biggest part.

This was because Anglicans comprised the ‘establishment’ of early colonial New Zealand.

Back in the mother country

The Church of England was established in the 6th century, in a mission to England led by St Augustine. The Church of England later renounced the authority of the Pope (leader of the Catholic Church) when English King Henry VIII, sought an annulment of his marriage to Catherine of Aragon in 1525.

The Anglican Church grew to be the major church of England, and expanded with the British empire. Samuel Marsden, the first Anglican missionary in New Zealand, began work in the Bay of Islands in 1814.

By the time this cemetery was established, the Anglican Church was a dominant force within New Zealand colonial society. Most senior government officials were Anglicans.

A significant part of the Anglican section was lost with the building of the motorways in the 1960s.

Where is the Anglican section?

Grafton Bridge, Grafton, Auckland 1010, New Zealand

Scenes from the Anglican section

  • <p>Looking across Grafton Gull and the cemetery to Mechanics Bay and Rangitoto in the distance, c1860s. <em>John Johnston, Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, Ref: B-079-027. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22790969</em></p>
  • <p>The grave of Captain William Hobson (1792-1842), first Governor of New Zealand, situated at the Grafton Bridge entrance to the Anglican section of the cemetery.</p>
  • <p>Looking south towards the exterior of the Holy Sepulchre Church (now long gone) at its original site in Anglican section of the Symonds Street Cemetery, c1880s. <em>James Richardson, Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 4-99.</em></p>
  • <p>Looking parallel to Symonds Street showing the Anglican section of Grafton Cemetery, with gate on left, c1950s. <em>Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 580-3811.</em></p>
  • <p>The old stone lychgate leading into  the Anglican section of the Symonds Street cemetery, c.1966. <em>Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 968-69.</em></p>

Maps of the Anglican section

  • <p>Overview of the various parts of the original Anglican cemetery. From the Auckland Libraries collection. The originals of the maps are located in Sir George Grey Special Collections as part of manuscript NZMS 1363.</p>
  • <p>Anglican cemetery, section A. From the Auckland Libraries collection.</p>
  • <p>Anglican cemetery, section B. From the Auckland Libraries collection.</p>
  • <p>Anglican cemetery, section C. From the Auckland Libraries collection.</p>
  • <p>Anglican cemetery, section D and E. From the Auckland Libraries collection.</p>
  • <p>Anglican cemetery, section E, F, M and N. From the Auckland Libraries collection.</p>
  • <p>Anglican cemetery, section O and P. From the Auckland Libraries collection.</p>
  • <p>Anglican cemetery, section L. From the Auckland Libraries collection.</p>
  • <p>Anglican cemetery, section K. From the Auckland Libraries collection.</p>
  • <p>Anglican cemetery, section J and R. From the Auckland Libraries collection.</p>
  • <p>Anglican cemetery, section C and H. From the Auckland Libraries collection.</p>